Hi, Hoping you folks can help me out.I have a 2008 15hp Mercury outboard (F15M) that started making a knocking noise.Here is what I’m observing
- no problems starting (pull rope)
- forward/reverse gears both engage
- in neutral, faint knocking sound at regular interval
- when in fwd/rev gear low rpm, vibrating more than in the past
- knocking cadence increases with higher rpm, but eventually fades at full throttle and engine rooms smooth.
- when returning to low rpm in fwd gear, lots of vibration
- when turning engine off while in fwd gear, with the run/stop toggle switch, engine cuts then knocking gradually slows down down (engine off & impeller not spinning at soon as I toggle the switch)
- this knocking is very clear sounding and it seems to be coming from just below the engine but hard to say
- when turning engine off with button at end of tiller, the above doesn’t happen, engine turns off and there is no more knocking at all
- putting gear in reverse sometimes makes a grinding noise.
That pretty accurately describes what’s happening. Wondering what you all think?
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Mercury Forum.